This project is read-only.

Scrum For Team system for VS2012

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Is there a plan to support SFTS for VS2012?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Well, I can't speak for the project contributors, but it appears from an outsider's perspective that there is no work being done to keep SfTS going...

Having said that, I have successfully used SfTS on TFS 2012 RC. I did run into a couple problems that I had to correct:

1. The deployment tool doesn't work out of the box. It uses a deprecated TFS API. It was a fairly straightforward change to the code, although I don't have it in front of me at the moment.
  2. The RC of TFS 2012 breaks SOAP notification events by using the MustUnderstand SOAP attribute. According to Buck Hodges of Microsoft this will be fixed for RTM. I had to modify the web services to deal with this. After that, they worked as they did with TFS 2010.

I was also able to add the new 2012 features like code review, feedback, and storyboarding into the process template.

The TFS agile planning tools (backlog view, task board, etc.) don't work all that well with the structure of SfTS projects. Primarily because all the iterations use the team name at the lowest level, there isn't an easy way to distinguish between iterations in the TFS tools. Also ordering of the backlog is problematic.

If you want more details on my code changes, let me know and I will put something up when I have a little more time.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Thanks a lot for replying. We haven;t started using TFS 2012 yet, but our decision to go with sfts with 2010 is mildly dependent on the support for 2012. I would love to see the code changes you  had to make to get it working with 2012. Thanks so much in advance for sharing!

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Are you already using SfTS in any form? If not, I would probably pass on it given the current state of affairs. I have a need to produce a doc for my company comparing various scrum templates, including SfTS 2, SfTS 3 and VS Scrum 2. I can share that here when I'm done, but it may be a week or two.

SfTS 3 was a good template for TFS 2010, but it does come with some added complexity, which I don't think is worth the effort given the improvements in TFS 2012.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I have used sfts for vs2010 in my previous company and had a lot of success with it. I am trying to implement it in my new firm and thats where I have beeen asked the question about its future. I like this template a lot because, compared to some of the MS templates, it has features such as work item roll-up and they have provided services that hook into the workitemchanged event in tfs to propagate changes through the hierarchy of work items. Also, they use terminology that is consistent with Agile such as product backlogs and sprint backlogs etc etc.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I think you will find that the new Visual Studio Scrum 2.0 process template that ships with TFS 2012 is a very workable template. It does use work items that are consistent with Scrum. In addition, the new agile planning tools in TFS 2012 are a great help as well. They do provide some of the roll up features -- for example to update PBIs with the total work remaining as each task is updated.

If you haven't already, do some looking at these new features. There is a Silverlight demo that you can watch that should give you a nice overview.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM
holisticdeveloper wrote:

If you want more details on my code changes, let me know and I will put something up when I have a little more time.

Can you please post that code changes you had to make? I'm affraid I'm stuck with STfS - I have some old projects that have zylions of work items, etc, so changing template at this point would be painfull I guess.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I am in a similar situation as agnieszka. Appreciate if the code changes could be posted.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Ditto.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM
The last release of scrum for team system was Scrum for Team System v3.0.4281.00, published in 2011.
Do you still plan to support TFS 2012?
What was the result of comparing various scrum templates for your company?
Is it your recommendation to use Visual Studion Scrum 2.0 process template?