SfTS2 to SfTS3 Migration Tool - diff between 2 transformations?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

We moved our TFS2008 database to a new TFS2010 database.

I'm almost through with my project Work Item migration using the SfTSv3 Migration tool when I find that there are 2 different sets of transformations.  I have been using the default transformation file, SftSv2Rules.TFS2008.xml.

The release notes describe the different transformation rules thusly:

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2008.xml -

This version supports project data exported from a TFS 2008 environment. Select this file if you have not upgraded your TFS 2008 infrastructure to TFS 2010.

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2010.xml -

This rule file supports data extracted from a SfTS v2 project that has been upgraded to TFS 2010.

I am not clear on the difference. There are only a few differences between the rule sets.  I fear that I should have been using the SfTSv2Rules.TFS2010.xml as the migrated (SfTSv2) projects from which I exported resided on the TFS2010 server.  There is no going back, users are already modifying the workitems on the new ScrumV3 projects that I migrated.

Can anyone explain the ill effects of using the TFS2008 transformations?

Here is a sample of the differences I see between the 2 sets of rules:

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2010.xml:

<TRANSFORMER matchlink="System.LinkTypes.Related-Forward" matchtype="Sprint Backlog Item" outputlink="Scrum.ImplementedBy-Forward" />
        <TRANSFORMER matchlink="System.LinkTypes.Related-Forward" matchtype="Impediment" outputlink="Scrum.ImpededBy-Forward" />

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2008.xml:

<TRANSFORMER matchlink="" matchtype="Sprint Backlog Item" outputlink="Scrum.ImplementedBy-Forward" />
        <TRANSFORMER matchlink="" matchtype="Impediment" outputlink="Scrum.ImpededBy-Forward" />

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2010.xml:

<TRANSFORMER matchlink="System.LinkTypes.Related-Forward" matchtype="Product Backlog Item" outputlink="Scrum.ImpededBy-Reverse" />

SfTSv2Rules.TFS2008.xml:

<TRANSFORMER matchlink="" matchtype="Product Backlog Item" outputlink="Scrum.ImpededBy-Reverse" />

etc...

Regards,
Richard

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Just a followup here.

We haven't bumped into an issue with using either transformation yet. It is possible that we would not even recognize it.

Richard