This project is read-only.

Process Guidance links broken

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

We are just getting started with TFS2010 and SfTS v3 (always fashionably late). I'm bringing over projects from TFS2008 where we used SfTS v2 and migrating where necessary.

The process has changed sufficiently that users familiar with v2 need help when filling out the new forms.

Conveniently, there is a Process Guidance tab on the forms on the TFS Web UI. 

Inconveniently it looks like the URL links to the process guidance are broken in the published SvTS v3 template. For example the Sprint Backlog Task/ In Progress link ( yields a 404 error.

I looked in source control for the Process Guidance html hoping that I could go back into the template and fix up the URL links to point to a locally installed copy. However, I didn't find it there.

Is there someplace where I can download the complete Process Guidance documentation tree?


Post Script: It looks like the URL will work if I substitute spaces (%20) for the + (plus) in the URLs.  I suppose I could crawl the site to slurp up the documentation from there. I'm still interested in keeping a local copy just so that the links are not broken by arbitrary shifts in the URL.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Actually, it isn't quite as simple as all that. I need to make an important distinction. The Process Guidance tab works as expected when using Team Explorer. The URL is composed correctly.  The Process Guidance tab works incorrectly on the TFS Web site interface (e.g. http://tfsserver:8080/tfs/web/UI/Pages/WorkItems/WorkItemEdit.aspx?id=12106&pguid=27d86d27-1387-484a-961e-957b8e17ce9e).

I expanded the file and searched for the url. As I expected I found it in many of the workitem definitions. However, what I didn't expect was how the ProcessGuidance was composed. Here is a clipping from the template file WorkItemTracking\TypeDefinitions\SprintBacklogText.xml

          <Tab Label="Process Guidance">
            <Control Type="WebpageControl" LabelPosition="Top" Dock="Fill">
              <WebpageControlOptions AllowScript="false">
                <Link UrlRoot="" UrlPath="/processguidance/v3/{0}/{1}" >
                  <Param Index="0" Value="System.WorkItemType" Type="Current" />
                  <Param Index="1" Value="System.State" Type="Current"/>

As you can see, the UrlPath is actually derived from 2 parameter values; System.WorkItemType and System.State.  Apparently these are expanded to yield the "+" word separators instead of "%20" in the Sharepoint site execution. I'm not sure where to go from here.