This project is read-only.

Automatic roll up troubleshooting

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I installed SfTS v3 on a new TFS 2010 SP 1 system for research.  So far, I have setup the project life time (Planning Scope + Life-cycle work items) via the TFS Workbench.  I have updated the capacity for each of my Team Sprint work items but I am not seeing these capacity values rolled up at the Sprint or Release level.  

Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the Event Service (or whatever is responsible for these updates)?

Thank you,

Saul Dolgin

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Hi Saul,

First – Enable Loggiging.

I recommend you to enable Event Service Logging to check if it’s able to process events.

You will find all the information on configuring loggining in following blog article under topic “Under the hood:”

http://consultingblogs.emc.com/crispinparker/archive/2009/12/02/scrum-for-team-system-v3-event-service.aspx

PLEASE NOTE that the event service file name has to be SfTSEvent.log.

Second – Force Sync to execute Aggregation Service.

In the same article it has section on “Controlling the service and synchronising work items”. Please refer to how to perform “Sync All” using Web Services interface. This option allows you to manually / force update aggregations for a given project in a given collection.

Third – Check that Aggregation Rule is defined.

In  your installation, locate “C:\Program Files\Scrum for Team System\Services\3.0\Rules\AggregationRules.xml”  file and verify that it contains following section….

<AggregateRule type="Sum">
    <WorkItemType source="Team Sprint" target="Sprint" />
    <Link linktypename="Scrum.ImplementedBy" isforward="true" />
    <Field source="Scrum.v3.Capacity" target="Scrum.v3.Capacity" />
    <ChangeNote>Sum of associated team sprint(s) capacity applied.</ChangeNote>
    <ExcludedSourceStates>
      <State>Deleted</State>
      <State>Aborted</State>
    </ExcludedSourceStates>
  </AggregateRule>

Fourth – Check link between “Team Sprint” and “Sprint”.

I have experienced that when you create new Team Sprint in TFS Workbench then it might not create all the required linked between “Team Sprint” and “Sprint”. Verify that when you open your sprint work item then it shows all your expected team sprint in the “Implemented By” link type.

Please refer to one of the issue that I have submitted here… http://scrumforteamsystem.codeplex.com/workitem/6.

Best Regards,
Dharmesh Shah.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Hi Dharmesh,

Thanks so much for giving me a great set of steps to start my troubleshooting process.  I did eventually discover the problem(s) as follows:

1) The App Pool running the Aggregation Service was using integrated pipeline mode.  This seemed to cause an issue in IIS 7.5 which prevented the Sync All interface from loading correctly (when trying to follow the instructions to "Force Sync" from your suggestion).  I changed the App Pool to classic mode and this allowed me to queue the sync request.

2) Once the Synchronization event was added to the process queue, I found in the Event Service log the following:

2011-11-28 14:06:13.259 - ScrumForTeamSystem.EventService.Services.ServerConnectionService - Error Message:
TF50309: The following account does not have sufficient permissions to complete the operation: IIS APPPOOL\ASP.NET v4.0 Classic.
The following permissions are needed to perform this operation: View collection-level information.
TF50309: The following account does not have sufficient permissions to complete the operation: IIS APPPOOL\ASP.NET v4.0 Classic.
The following permissions are needed to perform this operation: View collection-level information.
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TfsConnection.ThrowAuthorizationException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TfsConnection.UseCredentialsProviderOnFailure(Action action)
at ScrumForTeamSystem.EventService.Services.ServerConnectionService.GetTfsServiceProvider(String connectionString)
2011-11-28 14:06:13.259 - ScrumForTeamSystem.EventService.AggregationService.SyncAllProcessor - Unable to access work item store

The default account for the App Pool identity was being used (AppPoolIdentity).  Upon changing this to "Network Service" the sync process was completed successfully and the aggregates are updated correctly.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Regards,

Saul